Near Field Communication (NFC) is a set of communication protocols that enable two electronic devices, one of which is usually a portable device such as a smartphone, to establish communication by bringing them within 4 cm.
NFC devices are used in contactless payment systems, similar to those used in credit cards and electronic ticket smartcards and allow mobile payment to replace/supplement these systems.
This is sometimes referred to as NFC/CTLS (Contactless) or CTLS NFC. NFC is used for social networking, for sharing contacts, photos, videos or files.
NFC-enabled devices can act as electronic identity documents and keycards.
NFC offers a low-speed connection with simple setup that can be used to bootstrap more capable wireless connections. (by Wikipedia)
- ST’s dynamic NFC/RFID tags feature up to 64-Kbit of EEPROM and RAM memory which can be accessed either through a low-power I²C interface or an RF contactless interface operating at 13.56 MHz. Both short-range (ISO14443-A) and long-range (ISO15693) standards are supported:
- ST25DV TAG series (EEPROM & RAM): ISO15693 NFC forum type 5 certified dynamic tags suited for consumer electronics, industrial, metering, electronic shelf labels IoT objects and more. This TAG is compatible with M24LR TAG.
- M24LR TAG series (EEPROM): ISO15693 dynamic tags optimized for industrial, metering, healthcare, medical equipment and more.
- M24SR TAG series (EEPROM): ISO14443-A NFC forum type 4 dynamic tags designed for consumer electronics, wearables, home appliances and more.
- ST25 READER series provides multiprotocol support for 13.56 MHz NFC / RFID communications as ISO/IEC 14443 Type A or B, ISO/IEC 15693, ISO/IEC 18092, FeliCa and NFC Forum protocols.
For NFC/RFID reader we suggest the ST25R3911B
NFC, Near Field Communication devices operate at the same frequency (13.56 MHz) as HF RFID readers and tags.
The standards and protocols of the NFC format is based on RFID standards outlined in ISO/IEC 14443, FeliCa, and the basis for parts of ISO/IEC 18092.
These standards deal with the use of RFID in proximity cards.
eDesignSuite Simple antenna design, compatible across M24LR, M24SR and SRTAG-D series is here
ST25DV-DISCOVERY, Discovery kit