STM has developed and patented its own technology, called FlightSenseTM, using Time-of-Flight (ToF) principle in order to propose new generation of high-accuracy proximity sensors.
FlightSenseTM technology based products are packaged in a module that integrates the proximity sensor Single Photon Avalanche Diode (SPAD) array, Ambient Light Sensor (ALS) as well as the Vertical Cavity Surface-Emitting Laser (VCSEL) used by the proximity sensor feature, thus greatly easing the product integration.
Using a mature in-house imaging process and an in-house high-volume packaging solution, this advanced technology is ideally suited to a wide range of applications that require:
Competitive system cost
Very small package footprint
Low power consumption.
VL6180V1 – Proximity sensor, gesture and ambient light sensing (ALS) module (10…62 cm detection range) – (the name on Internet is VL6180)
VL6180X – Proximity sensor, gesture and ambient light sensing (ALS) module (10…40 cm detection range)
VL53L0X – World smallest Time-of-Flight (ToF) ranging sensor (200 cm detection range)
VL53L1X – New generation Time-of-Flight Ranging sensor with advanced multi-zone and multi-object detection (400 cm+ detection range)
VL53L3CX – combines the benefits of a high-performance proximity sensor, with excellent short distance linearity, together with ranging capability up to 300 cm.
The miniature reflowable package integrates a single photon avalanche diode (SPAD) array and physical infrared filters to achieve the best ranging performance in various ambient lighting conditions, with a wide range of cover glass windows.
- MKT & TECHNICAL presentation (April 2020)
- Here (YouTube) you can find a lot of interesting tutorials and demos concerning STM Proximity Sensors
- Evaluation Boards
- Extra info are here
- Getting started with Time-of-Flight ranging and gesture sensor expansion board (STM32 ODE) (video)
- People Counting using a Single STM ToF based on VL53L1X, see here.
- The general purpose evaluation boards are here.
- The P-NUCLEO-53L0A1 is an evaluation pack that provides an introduction to the ranging and gesture detection features of the VL53L0X sensor (distance measured max 2m), combined with the powerful STM32F401RE (NUCLEO-F401RE) microcontroller.
This is a ground-breaking technology allowing absolute distance to be measured independent of target reflectance.
Instead of estimating the distance by measuring the amount of light reflected back from the object (which is significantly influenced by color and surface), the VL53L0X precisely measures the time the light takes to travel to the nearest object and reflect back to the sensor (Time-of-Flight).
The STM32 Nucleo board, NUCLEO-F401RE, provides an affordable and flexible way for users to try out new ideas and build prototypes with any STM32 microcontroller line, choosing from the various combinations of performance, power consumption and features.
- If you need only the evaboard for VL53L0X the part number is: X-NUCLEO-53L0A1 see below.
- 53L0-SATEL-I1 – Satellite mini-PCB with VL53L0X for easy integration.
- The P-NUCLEO-6180A1 is an evaluation pack that provides an introduction to the proximity, ranging and light sensing capabilities of the VL6180V1 sensor (distance measured max 62cm), combined with the powerful STM32F401RE mcu.
- UM2657 – How to use the VL6180 proximity sensor X-NUCLEO-6180A1 expansion board with the STM32 Nucleo board
- The P-NUCLEO-6180X1 is an evaluation pack that provides an introduction to the proximity, ranging and light sensing capabilities of the VL6180X sensor (distance measured max 40cm), combined with the powerful STM32F401RE mcu.
- Quick Start Guide of VL6180X
- VL6180X API Integration Guide
- Using Time-of-Flight Technology
- Video on YouTube
- VL6180X-SATEL – Satellite mini-PCB with VL6180X for easy integration.
Go on TOP